Monday, September 25, 2006

Assumptions - Common Courtesy

Continuing on the line of Common Courtesy-

After my daughter’s second week of kindergarten, she told me that (1) She had played with “Emily”, who we met during assessments, during recess, a following day (2) She played with “Joy” from her class then “Emily” during recess, (3) The next day “Joy” didn’t want to play with her, (4) The following day “Emily” played with her a little bit than played with a boy, (5) Then she played by herself.

I didn’t want to make a big deal about her not having a friend; it’s only the second week of school. However, the more I thought about it, the more I believed I didn’t have the full picture. I asked my daughter what she had said to “Joy” when she went to play with “Emily” or did she just say nothing and leave “Joy” behind?

She stated that she just left “Joy” behind. I asked her how thinks “Joy” felt when she did this, “Sad.” I then asked her if she would like that to happen to her; “No.” I told her that she needed to apologize to “Joy” and that “Joy” may or may not want to play with her; either way she needs to apologize. If “Joy” does want to play with her and “Emily” comes around, she needs to ask if everybody wants to play together.

The next day, my daughter said she played with “Joy” and when “Emily” came around she asked that they all play together; and they did. I asked my daughter how did it feel and she replied “Happy”.

Looking back, I had assumed my daughter would know when she hurt someone’s feelings and think about playing “together.” How to treat others, just like please and thank you, are very much a part of teaching manners and something we as parents must teach our children.

How have you taught or are teaching your children about common courtesy?