Thursday, October 05, 2006

Counting to 10 Doesn't Work For Me

I don’t know about you, but there are times when my children just make me want to pull my hair out; specifically when there’s lot’s of whining and/or drama.

Many parenting and anger management resources suggest counting to 10 when you find yourself ready to yell. I find remembering to do this difficult and when I do remember to count to 10, I’m still just as frustrated as when I started; especially when I ‘m trying to buckle one in and I’m running late.

For years, I’ve been looking for a trigger or something to help flip the feeling of wanting to pull my hair out. This week I’ve found it.

For some reason, I began to sing the ABC’s when my daughter was in high drama. Amazingly, I’ve found myself relaxing as I sang this song even when the kids are protesting my singing (both for the song and the fact that I can’t carry a tune.)

I’ve had several opportunities to sing the last 10 days and I am just surprised how immediately my body relaxes when I sing it. That I sing it more than once.

Do you count to 10 when you are ready to pull your hair out? Do you have another method or trigger that you use in those intense moments that helps you flip from anger/frustration to a calmer state? I'd llove to hear about it.