Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Reading For Fun

Studies show that 92% of kids say they enjoy
reading for fun; however only 3 out of 10 read for
fun everyday. In fact, once kids reach the age of
8, those who read every day for fun drops from
40% to 29%.

The main reason given for not reading; kids can’t
find anything interesting to read. Reading holds
so much for our children: vocabulary, a healthy
way to spend their time, learning more about
themselves and the world and much more.

It is tricky finding books of interest. We’ve
bought books that my son hasn’t liked,
and if they’re in new condition, I return it, if my
son has let the condition deteriorate a bit; I
donate it either to his class room or to the local
shelter, hoping another teen will enjoy them.

My suggestion is to ask the librarian; ask the
proprietor of the small specialty book store and
of course the employees at the big book stores. I
continue to find different people to get more and
more suggestions; I don't want my son to stop
reading for fun.

This same study also noted that children of
parents who ready daily are more likely to be
readers. However, if you aren’t a daily reader you
can still help your child be one by making sure
your child has an interesting book to read.

For me, I try to read 1 of every 4-5 books my son
reads. Not only do I want to know what kind of
books he’s interested in, it also gives us more
fodder for communication.

How do you promote your kid’s interest in
reading?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home