Tuesday, December 05, 2006

SPEAK RESPECTIVELY

Well, my son has been showing signs of becoming a teen in his pre-teen years. The latest sign has been one of talking disrespectfully; specifically to his sister.

I know it’s time for him to try new things and to start finding his own identity. However, when I heard him patronizing and bossing his sister around; I didn’t like it. So when this began, I would call him on it, telling him that this was rude and not acceptable behavior. I would tell him that he needs to talk to his sister with respect and make him repeat his demand as a request with respect.

This process was repeated over and over the following 4-6 weeks. I have noticed that this behavior has its ebbs and flows. A couple of weeks will go where I’m not reminding him to speak to his sister respectfully; then I need to remind him.

I suspect this will be the norm or some variation until it’s either drilled into his head or otherwise.

How have you dealt with your child being disrespectful? I’d love to hear about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home